Dragaera

"Fantasy" Films

Fri Jun 28 02:19:01 PDT 2002

Dennis Higbee wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 Randi128 at aol.com wrote:
>

> It's my opinion that sf books don't make good movies because of the
> differences in the media and the lack of interest in the work necessary
> to overcome those differences.  The LotR films are the result of years
> of work on the part of a committed director, Peter Jackson, combined with
> a huge gamble by New Line (that has already paid off) and an unusual lever
> of tolerance, in allowing Jackson to proceed mostly unhindered.  I don't
> forsee it happening again anytime soon.
>
> -Dennis

The interest may be blossoming. A few other movies  have come out that
have shown  respect for their
fantastic source material & not hacked the story into a normal hollywood
form. Minority Report leaves
all of its sf short story tricks in, spider man is a loving rendition of
the comic & Harry Potter is so close
to the book it is scary. Only minority report is a good movie mind you ,
but all of them respect thier sources.

Francesco