Dragaera

"Fantasy" Films [LoTR, H.P.]

Lisa Grant Coffin lisa at spindot.com
Fri Jun 28 05:38:29 PDT 2002

frankNfi <frankNfi at zip.com.au> wrote:
> The interest may be blossoming. A few other movies  have come out that
> have shown  respect for their
> fantastic source material & not hacked the story into a normal
> hollywood form. Minority Report leaves
> all of its sf short story tricks in, spider man is a loving rendition
> of the comic & Harry Potter is so close
> to the book it is scary. Only minority report is a good movie mind
> you , but all of them respect thier sources.
>
> Francesco

i totally agree! much has been said about what Harry Potter has or hasn't
done for the (ahem) genre. i disagree with everyone who says interest has
dropped off. my nine year old son (and his mother) have been counting days
until the next book, bought advance tickets for the first day of the movie,
bought the video the first day it came out, etc. his interest in fantasy is
huge. lloyd alexander, ursula k leguin, madeliene l'engle, and a whole slew
of new authors like lemony snickett, diane duane, eoin colfer. whatever i
can get my hands on and get into his, he eats it up.

LoTR was lovingly done with real craft and an infectious enthusiasm for the
series; we loved it as well. my son lamented the fact he has to wait for the
next 'book' to come out in the theatre. he said he would have happily
brought a pillow and sat for nine hours, no problem.  i told him he didn't
have to wait, and gave him my copies of the books, which he enjoyed many
nights by flashlight under the covers, and went on to read the hobbit.

when he gets a bit older he's going to love steven's books too. *here's
hoping* that the successes of LoTR and Harry Potter gives hollywood a lesson
in the draw of well-crafted fantasy movies.]

lisa grant coffin