Dragaera

Fw: SF pet peeves

nikki m. pill stvitus at flash.net
Thu Jul 18 11:25:38 PDT 2002

> Stacy wrote:
>
>  > There are writer who can get away with a style such as this, but most
> cannot.
 An author's "clever humor" is the same way. Steven, of course, can be
 riotously funny without detracting from the story. So can Neil Gaiman &
 Terry Pratchett, as in *Good Omens,* or Douglas Adams (for the first few
 books, anyway). Neil Stephenson, on the other hand, overdoes the "look how
 clever I am" aspect. So do those Roberts who do the Illuminatus Trilogy.
 It's like reading Tom Robbins in SF, or even worse, Gore Vidal. I can't
cope
 with smug writers.

 Nikki