Dragaera

Lonesome Oct (was: Re: the next vlad book?)

Starshadw at aol.com Starshadw at aol.com
Fri Jul 19 21:13:25 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/19/2002 3:10:43 PM Mountain Daylight Time, mneme at io.com
writes:

> However, symbols -also- matter -- the whole point of Jack having
> wrong wand was that -despite- his intentions, by the rules of the game
> (the rules being a big ugly symbol), he was on the opening side
> because he was holding the opening wand.

Not necessarily.  I don't think that simply by holding the wrong instrument,
one's side in the battle changes - unless one KNOWS one is holding the right
instrument.  The opening side was winning because Jack's willpower was being
fed into the opening wand - but he didn't realize he was pouring energy into
the wrong focus - he thought he was closing the gate, not opening it.  I
don't think one changes from open to close just based on what tool you happen
to have in your hand.

> The key question is whether the "death of the losing side" is based on
> the symbolic (technical actions matter) level, or on the subtext
> (intention and forshadowing matters) level -- I -think- it's clear
> that it's only on the symbolic level that "loser's death" is
> required...which means that since Jill was holding the closer's wand,
> she was, de facto, a closer.

I still don't agree with your theory that simply be holding one tool over
another, a person's side in the battle changes.  It's not the TOOL that's
doing the work - it's the WILLPOWER of the person.

> The second question is why Jack survives -- I'd say that rather than
> this being because he dropped the opener's wand, it's because he's
> unkillable -- he doesn't expect to die if he loses to begin with, and
> his (known) survival makes it clear that he's an exception to this
> "rule".

Again, not necessarily.  Maybe he's survived this long because whenever he's
managed to make it to one of these little shin-digs, the closers always win.
He seems pretty powerful and his presence could keep things in the closers'
favor.

Stacy