Dragaera

the next vlad book?

Sun Jul 21 18:38:54 PDT 2002

[Lydy accidentally emailed her reply to only me, but confirmed to me
in e-mail that it was intended for the list.  I haven't snipped
anything out of her post.]

Lydia Nickerson <lydy at demesne.com> wrote on Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:32:13
> TKY wrote:
> >"Ian sympatico" <ijamie at sympatico.ca> writes:
> > >
> > > If anyone has not read Zelazny yet I don't know why they are on
> > > this list!
> >
> >?  Surely there are at least a few people here who haven't read any
> >Zelazny.  Right?
> >
> >Also, I like both Steve's and Zelazny's books, but in general, they
> >don't feel that similar to me.  I suspect I'm in the minority; anyone
> >else in there with me?
>
> _To Reign in Hell_ is, I believe, a deliberate Zelazny pastiche.  It's
> certainly wonderful in its own way, and very like Zelazny.  There are
> things about the world building in Dragaera that remind me of Zelazny, even
> though the stories and writing don't.  Paarfi and Zelazny are in many ways
> worlds apart.

TRiH does remind somewhat of Zelazny.

> >I've read only _Cryptonomicon_ (no 'r' at the end), which I liked a
> >lot.  (I couldn't tell if Inner and Outer Q<mumble> were real or not.
> >I had to do a little Googling to find out.)  I hear that he doesn't do
> >endings ([well] / [at all], take your pick), but Crypto's was ok by
> >me.
>
> So, does this mean you can explain the ending to me?  I utterly adore the
> book, its shifts in time, its layered construction, its characters and
> plot, but I'm damned if I can figure out what they're going to do at the
> ending.

Heh.  I'm not sure what they're going to do, but I liked the way the
various threads had converged by that point, and it was clear he was
setting things up for a sequel.

Did you catch the hints that there is a clear-cut SF element?  Bill
Snyder pointed this out on RASFW, and I'm afraid to say at first I
thought it was all bullshit, but upon closer inspection, he's right
that there's very good evidence that there is, um, let's call it a
"Harry Potter connection".  For spoiler details, see

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=F4635C5415B8DF0E.342CB2078C8B6B1E.4E9DA9C7BE55CBE2%40lp.airnews.net

(You may need to reform that URL into one line -- *wow* that's a big
Message-ID!)

> _Cryptonomicon_ is the best worked up of his novels, in my opinion.  I am
> also very fond of _Snow Crash_, but it's an 80s sort of thing, cyberpunk on
> speed.  I didn't much like _Diamond Age_.  I should read it again, since I
> can't articulate why I didn't like it I probably wasn't paying enough
> attention the first time through.  It's structure is weird and limp,
> though.  Maybe that's why...

- tky