Dragaera

Comfort and Guilt Books

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Mon Jul 22 13:04:43 PDT 2002

Joshua Kronengold <mneme at io.com> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet writes:
> >Joshua Kronengold <mneme at io.com> writes:
> >> The other unfortunate thing is that Riftwar is apparently based on
> >> Feist's home campaign, which apparently had heavy EPT/Tekumel
> >> inclusions, which Fiest refuses to acknowledge despite their
> >> obviousness to anyone who has read the Barker books (which are, in any
> >> case, far better than any of the Fiest books except -maybe- the
> >> "Mistress of the Empire" (etc) trilogy).
> >I think it's one step further away -- it wasn't Feist's *own*
> >campaign, and when he was in it he didn't know that many elements
> >derived from EPT.
>
> Sorry -- by "home campaign" I meant "a campaign he played in", not "a
> campaign he ran".

Important point IMHO -- if he didn't set it up himself, it's much
easier to believe he didn't know the source of particular elements.

> >have to say that the Barker book was far inferior.  But neither was
> >much to my taste, either.  I think Barker was working much harder on
> >the world- and culture-building, but he was so *totally* hopeless on
> >the characters....
>
> Um...you were reading _Flamesong_, not _Man of Gold_, right?
> _Flamesong_ is, IMO, far inferior -- it's basically a travelouge with
> a plot, and (very) flat characters.  _Man of Gold_ is much more of a
> romp, and has an interesting convoluted plot and at least -some-
> characters worth the name.

Which was first?  I thought _Man of Gold_ was first; in any case the
one I read was the first one.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net