Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

Thu Aug 15 20:14:35 PDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 01:21:29PM +0100, Mark Tiller wrote:

> I'm going to have to disagree with Steven, Language is NOT how we think,
> it's how we communicate.  We think at the subconcious level in the

How do you know how we think at the subconcious level?

> Pictures, Sounds and Feelings at least that's how memory is organised.

Not entirely.  Are smells supposed to count as feelings? ... more relevantly
for this debate, it's a simple cognitive science experiment to have people
read a passage, and then some time later try to identify the passage they read
>from among others written differently with the same meaning.  From what I've
read, most people won't pick out the right passage.  They can, though, reject
passages with different meanings.  Certainly I know that if I read something
without intentionally paying attention to the specific words my ability to
regenerate the exact words will be crap -- but I'll know the gist of what was
said.

So this somewhat argues against Steve's case -- there's a level of memory, and
probably thinking, more abstract than that of the specific language we use.  I
think the ability to identify ambiguous sentences may be another argument --
we note the sentence doesn't resolve to a unique meaning.  On the other hand,
we may then wonder about the sentence in terms of more precise alternate
sentences.  This isn't something I've introspected about -- and I might be a
bad example, because most of my conscious thinking _is_ me talking to myself
in my head (or talking to other people in my head... but talking.)

But I think my first example argues against your case as well, unless you
expand 'feelings' to these hidden abstract meaning structures in our head.
But I doubt that'd be useful.

> We may CHOOSE at the concious level to verbalise our thoughts, it's good
> if we are trying to follow a logic chain. But thinking in pictures is
> much faster as in a picture's worth a thousand words.

"Not if you can't draw."  I do not think in pictures, okay?  And I think fast.
(Although not, perhaps, about pictorial stuff.)

People are insisting their way is right.  It's not.  People think differently.
Some people natter to themselves.  Others can manipulate pictures in their
brain.  A few others have rather different experiences, associating colors
with words and sounds all the time, seeing colors in different numbers, not as
a choice but because they do -- I'd guess some neurons took a wrong path, but
what do I know?  Some people can't express themselves well in speech or
writing but are good at figuring out mechanical things.  Some are the
opposite.  Some are good at advanced math (and in different ways, if I believe
Wolfram.)  Some of us combine proficiencies.

There is no one right way to proces information.

It is universal that we seem hard-wired to pick up the languages around us at
a young age.  (In the case of creoles, even making a new language with other
children, out of the parental mishmash.)  How much we use that language to
ourselves varies.

-xx- Damien X-)