Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

Thu Aug 15 10:47:29 PDT 2002

At 01:28 AM 8/15/2002 -0500, Kat wrote:

>Two other examples of which I can produce - when I'm driving, I'm processing
>what's going on around me in a purely spatial sense, noting the relative
>speeds of as many vehicles as possible in my general vicinity, changes in
>their direction, etc. In this case there almost isn't an internal
>representation, just external sensory input to which I respond in such a
>manner that my vehicle doesn't end up in a space that's already occupied or
>will imminently be occupied by someone else.
>
>The second is in a martial art, aikido in my case. Processing all of the
>factors that make up a person's stability and balance, and pinpointing the
>vector(s) along which sufficient applied force will change that balance in a
>desired manner, is entirely non-lingual for me.
>
>Hope that helps.

What you are talking about is exactly the same thing happens to me under
those circumstances, but I don't call it thinking spatially, I am just
aware that my thinking, under those conditions, is not happening in
English, but in terms appropriate to the skills being used.  You call it
thinking spatially, I call it thinking in the language of those
skills.  That it is, at some level in my mind, I am still manipulating a
set of symbols.  Facility, or it's lack, with the language of those skills
is one of the main things that limits our abilities.

Mmm...is this making sense?