Dragaera

OT: Subjectivity vs. Objectivity (was: bois...)

Fri Aug 16 04:51:57 PDT 2002

 Steven Brust wrote:At 04:36 AM 8/16/2002 -0700, Caliann the Elf wrote:

 Steven Brust wrote:

We have a third choice: attempting to influence, so that the changes that
take place help to make the language more useful, flexible, and
powerful. I don't think simplicity vs complexity is the issue--the exact
details, and how they effect language, are the issue.

Wow, why didn't you tell me in all this time you wished to be French?  They use that sort of control over their language.  <smiles sweetly>

I don't know enough about French Institute to speak intelligently.  My father minored in French, and one time, based on some 2nd hand things I'd heard, I made the mistake of making disparaging remarks about it.  I don't remember the details of the ensuing lecture, but at least I'm convinced that there are two sides to that argument.

-- Steve
(Grand Poohbah Cheese of the Universe)

"Offense theives. -- they take it when it isn't offered." --Tom Digby