Dragaera

OT: Swords, and a tolerable acquaintance with their length

Joshua Kronengold mneme at io.com
Fri Aug 16 14:06:25 PDT 2002

Penney, Sean writes:
>>>I have and use two types of blades - a 32 inch Schlager blade (guess
>>>that's a smallsword)
>>Close enough, in dimensions.
>The Schlagers we use are oval, with no taper whatsoever.  They tend to
>measure 32 to 36 inches.

Well, I do know this, though I haven't seen all that many <35 inch
schlagers.

The small ones, aside from taper (and weight, but that's actually less
of an issue than length for handling characteristics) aren't that far
>from a smallsword.

>>Sure...but the Del Tins tend to match (to some extent; they don't
>>taper enough) the historical weapons much closer than the little short
>>things [not to meanion the single-wide epees and foils used by [SCA]
>>Easterners [1]].
>Kingdom of the West here

Cool -- say high to Jan Kees for me (from Fiacha).

>we also use these new double-wides (not epees - they are about 1 1/2 times
>the width of a Deltin at the forte and have much less taper - I dunno why
>they call them double-wides)

Because Del Tin makes them, and they are wider than their other
weapons?

>>In any case, SCA fencing is a lot of fun...but it's not really very
>>historical, and doesn't have the reality of "kill or be killed" in the
>>way that techniques developed when weapons were used for real, and
>Definitely true - the number of double kills I see is point in fact.

Quite.  A lot of people use, and even do well with, things that would
never have worked were the blades sharp.

>>only the masters whose techniques worked survived to teach them did.
>>Thus, invented techniques are rather suspect and I have significant
>>doubt that fencing, in the East[2] or Dragaera, is closer to any invented
>>artificial style than it is to any of the ones that actually existed
>>in history.
>Well I guess in this we are in agreement.

Good -- even if my use of the double-negative (sorta) made it hard for
me to tell if I got it right [simplified: I think historical fencing and
manuals of same is and are a better model for Dragaeran/Eastern than
either modern or SCA fencing]. :)

--
     Joshua Kronengold (mneme at io.com) "I've been teaching |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'