Dragaera

Evolving language

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Sat Aug 17 12:07:51 PDT 2002

Caliann the Elf <calianng_graves at yahoo.com> writes:

> I have to agree that the English Language is large, ponderous and
> unweildy.  It could stand to be whittled down into something more
> efficient.  When was the last time anyone used the word "druthers"
> as a synonym for "choice"? Actually, when was the last time anyone
> used the word "druthers" when it was not precluded by the words
> "Give my..." or "If I had my..."?

Dunno *when*, but it popped right up in my head.  Very colloquial, but
still current IMHO.

> Then again, new words do come into the language.  Being a computer
> geek for a living, I do not believe I could live and without many of
> the new words and acronyms.
>
> Besides, I am rather fond of the word "squick".  I never realized
> how much that word was necessary to my lifestyle until I learned it.
> Now it is a regular part of my vocabulary.  Useful word!  You won't
> find it in the dictionary.....yet.

Very important word.

You are aware of the ongoing search for citations to document vaious
SF terms into the OED, mostly being discussed in usenet
rec.arts.sf.written, aren't you?  The OED team seems to be working the
net hard to help them.

> There is a point to this, which is that I DO feel that English can
> use a lot of help.  It could be streamlined into what is actually
> USED.  I'd like a dictionary that didn't have the name of a piece of
> harness used for draft horses in the 1200's.  A "modern use in
> vocabulary" dictionary.

I'd like a *spelling* dictionary for my word processor based on that
principle.  That's where it hurts to have unused words.  I don't mind
a big dictionary -- the CD is the same size regardless :-).  (Proud
owner of the OED on CD rom).

> *Owned and Operated by the Grand Poohbah Cheese of the Universe*

Wow, the Grand Poohbah Cheese himself?  You're so very fortunate!
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net