Dragaera

OT: Subjectivity vs. Objectivity (was: bois...)

Sun Aug 18 08:42:26 PDT 2002

Mia said:
> (God, this is fun!)
>
> Samuel Delany (I think!) wrote a book called Babel 17--damn good
> book--in which the bad guys invented a language that contained no "I".
> Without "I", there cannot be "you"; without a concept of "I" and "you" .
> . . well, let's just say the poor guy grew up pretty strange.

Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis.  Generally out of vogue nowadays (as am I!).  The
Delany book is circa 1960s, the hypothesis the late 20s.  They took it a bit
far, stating that language determines thought, whereas today most believe it
only influences thought.

http://venus.va.com.au/suggestion/sapir.html