Dragaera

OT: Subjectivity vs. Objectivity (was: bois...)

Sat Aug 17 16:30:33 PDT 2002

Sean said:

Our language IS closely linked to how we think.  Or actually, the
reverse.
How we think is dictated by language.  If you think in Chinese you will
have
a different perspective from one who thinks in English.

(God, this is fun!)

Samuel Delany (I think!) wrote a book called Babel 17--damn good
book--in which the bad guys invented a language that contained no "I".
Without "I", there cannot be "you"; without a concept of "I" and "you" .
. . well, let's just say the poor guy grew up pretty strange.

Great novel.

Mia