Dragaera

OT: bois (was: Sethra Lavode vs. Enchantress of Dzur Mountain)

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Thu Aug 22 20:26:42 PDT 2002

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Frank Mayhar <frank at exit.com> writes:
> > I'm beginning to suspect that the subjective perception (the "I" that
> > thinks and the self-awareness) is an illusion.  So if that's the case,
> > they _don't_ "hook up in the middle."  You go from the complexity of
> > the low-level stuff straight to the high-level stuff in one leap, since
> > in a way the high-level stuff doesn't really exist.  (I know that I'm
> > overstating a bit but I think the point is valid.)
> That raises the always-troublesome issue of "an illusion *of what*",
> though.

Close your eyes.  Think of yourself thinking (it's easier if one is
accustomed to introspection).  Feel yourself, your "self-ness," your
sense of identity.

_That_ would be the illusion.  That sense of self-ness and identity.  That
sense of an "I" that perceives.

(This is one idea, though, that I would really like to be wrong about, btw.)

> I like the phrase "Consciousness is an emergent phenomemon of
> the brain", but I'm not sure how much it really explains.

I think it's pretty much a complicated way of saying "it just happens."

> But then
> we're up against the nastiest area of metaphysics, so I guess it's to
> be expected that things are a bit peculiar.

Um, yeah. :-P

This is all a very good way to tie ones brain in large and very complicated
knots.
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/