Dragaera

Joining Dragaeran houses (Re: Phoenixes)

Wed Sep 4 08:12:21 PDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 07:20:04AM -0700, Greg Rapawy wrote:

> > To be a Phoenix, a phoenix has to fly over the child
> > at birth and both parents must be phoenixes.  This

I think the "fly over" is something Vlad tosses out to the reader (well, the
listening box) on his own, without confirmation from interaction with an
actual Dragaeran.  So I'm withholding belief on that one.  Unreliable
narrator, remember?  He also believes Dragaerans can't get preganant unless
they want to, and I think Steve has said biologically that's not true,
although with sorcerous contraception it may as well be, at least for
Dragaerans responsible enough to use contraception.  (And to afford sorcery?
Teckla?)

> but apparently too late.  Someone, I think Morrolan,
> says at some time, I think in _Taltos_, that Sethra
> was responsible for Zerika surviving the Disaster.  We

Yeah, it's when he's catching Aliera up to date on the Cycle.

> Phoenix heir except through crossbreeding.  Other
> possibilities that leap to mind include (1) time
> travel; (2) parthenogenesis or cloning (if sorcery or
> some other magical techniques permit).  If

(3) Have a bunch of Phoenixes (urk) walk out of the Paths, alive, not undead.
They're Phoenix, they should be able to do stuff like that.  Seems the only
thing the House is really good for.

-xx- Damien X-)