Dragaera

Joining Dragaeran houses (Re: Phoenixes)

Penney, Sean seanp at ea.com
Wed Sep 4 10:31:45 PDT 2002

Greg Rapawy said:

>Mellar, a crossbreed (therefore a member of no House
>by birth) succeeds in joining the Dzur by defeating
>seventeen Dzur champions in successive duels.

>Vlad comments in _Yendi_ that as Zerika is the last
>surviving Phoenix there is now no way to produce a
>Phoenix heir except through crossbreeding.

I'm surprised Dragaereans can crossbreed.  Since they have the actual genes
>from Orca and Dragons and such, you'd think they would be incompatible.
I've read that humans and apes are 99.something percent identical, but
hybrids are not possible.  Donkeys and horses produce mules, offspring that
cannot reproduce.  No doubt the Jenoine cleaned up any genetic
incompatibilities.

Has Steve ever hinted at what species' those pre-Kieron houses that didn't
survive to become one of the 17 were based on?

Oh, and does anyone know how long it was between the time the Jenoine set
their experiments free and Kieron created the empire?  I'm thinking it had
to be many generations of Dragaereans - thousands even.  You'd think all the
houses would be jumbled together melting-pot-wise.  Or perhaps the Jenoine
also instilled some type of genetic imperative to breed true, which is why
cross-breeds are so despised.