Dragaera

Titles, and the Warlord

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Mon Sep 30 22:41:36 PDT 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 Gaertk at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated Sun, 29 Sep 2002 10:43:29 PM Eastern
>Standard Time, David Silberstein <davids at kithrup.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> In a message dated Sun, 29 Sep 2002 2:08:27 PM Eastern
>>> Standard Time, David Silberstein <davids at kithrup.com>
>>> writes:
>>>
>>> [Khaavren == Warlord?]

 [snippage]

>>> Did you happen to note page numbers?  I'd like a better
>>> feel for the context.
>
>Sigh, I really liked my theory.  Oh well, here's a last,
>futile attempt to defend Khaavren as Warlord:

[snip bits about Khaavren having 2 roles in the Imperial Service.
Yes, yes - I thought of that, but her wording is just not quite right
for that.]

>The other evidence (including p. 193)

(Damn, I misread p. 193 - I'd been skimming, and I also read the bit
where Kiera was in fact walking with Savn).

> is all from Vlad, who (according to the Author) is an idiot.

(Well, he's *sometimes* an idiot, but not that big an idiot, I think.)

And I can also think of some reasons why his being an idiot wouldn't
pass unnoticed:

1) When he was talking to Kiera, I think she would have pointed
out to him his error.  She's nicer than him in many ways.  :-)

2) More to the point, when he was talking to Timmer, he was talking to
someone who worked for Khaavren.  How many times do you think he could
have messed up while referring to her boss before she burst out "What
the *hell* are you talking about, you funny little man?  I *work* for
the Warlord!  Khaavren *is* the Warlord!"  (if he were, I mean).  Or
at the very least, she would have given him some very odd looks.  :-)