Dragaera

Great Weapons (Issola Spoilers)

Sun Nov 3 21:41:53 PST 2002

FelixEisen at aol.com wrote:
> davids at kithrup.com writes:
>>  ... he doesn't want to distress Lady Teldra by
>>  making her do something so unnecessary & impolite.
>
> I think you're overestimating -- or underestimating -- Vlad and
> Teldra.  I mean, consider their conversation throughout the book.
> Clearly, Teldra respects Vlad, even considers him to be a sharp
> cookie.  Vlad knows, either through experience or instinct, what is
> appropriate at what times.

<snip>

Vlad does know how to 'respond'  rather well in various situations, but he
clearly makes too many assumptions. For instance: something to site in
reference would be in Yendi when he decides that it's time to get back to
the office after recuperating while at Dzur mountain he clearly didn't
realize it was inappropriate to teleport back near the office and walk back
(the ambush he thought would be really unlikely because of it's cost to have
done to him)  Even though he was aware of the possible danger he didn't
follow the path of total paranoia, then again this was important for us to
see, later in that chapter he starts taking some appropriate actions
regarding his weapons and cycling them out so as not to let them pick up his
aura. Maybe in this example it is (his assumptions)  forgivable to help us
see Vlad learning because after all he was pretty fresh in the organization
at that point and later we see him being unrelentlessly paranoid with
reference to the phoenix stones and staying hidden.

So I guess his assumptions have a good place, if he assumes wrong he almost
or does die (or it doesn't really matter, he spends most of his time trying
to stay alive anyway) after which he learns that he was wrong about
something and either continues the cycle by making a new assumption or flat
out learning what to do in that kind of situation or one like it. after
having enough 'learning experiences' you'll find many that are relevant to
another which help his assumptions to be more accurate. This seems
fundamental to Vlad's character. Others see Vlad as making the right actions
for the situation as he often does but we can see breaks in this and see
where him being wrong yet those around him find his actions appropriate,
*When Vlad bitches out Kragar in that same chapter you might notice that
none of the proceeding crap would have happened if he had made the
appropriate action when leaving Dzur mountain leaving me feeling like even
though Vlad had some good points to make to Kragar and Kragar accepted it
all as his fault. Kragar was even likely convinced Vlad acted appropriately
I don't think Vlad thought so entirely, remember that Vlad wanted to show
Kragar a little trust to in a way apologize in not so many words.

He's the boss he's got to look like he's doing the right things, and he
knows that appearance is rather important. The fact that he pays attention
helps.