Dragaera

A question re: Begining Fantacy for Youth

Sun Nov 24 06:22:20 PST 2002

> I have an 11-year old step-brother who very much enjoys fantasy, and he
has
> asked me what else there is in this genera to read.

I have a few ideas:
    The Harper Hall books of Anne McCaffrey, 'Dragonsinger', 'Dragonsong'
and 'Dragondrums' are excellent books for an 11 year old. I liked McCaffrey
until she milked the idea too much, ala, Eddings.
    A second vote for 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card.
    I can't believe that noone has mentioned 'The Hobbit' by JRR Tolkien.
    The Heinlien youth books as mentioned are good, especially, 'Space
Cadet' and 'Starman Jones'.
    Stephen King's 'Dragoneye' was written originally for his daughter and
is pretty good.

If others pop into my head I will let you know.

Ian