Dragaera

A different Track

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Mon Nov 25 21:57:56 PST 2002

On 25 Nov 2002, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>Jeremy Michel <jjm57 at cornell.edu> writes:
>
>> So i got 84 messages about youth fantasy today (and i will admit that
>> i've contributed a bit myself in days past) but this is getting
>> rediculous, i'm sorry i can't keep up anymore  I prepose we start a
>> new conversation.
>
>Oh, that'll help, *another* topic to add to the message cascade!  :-)
>
>But seriously, the way to start a discussion is to *say* something;
>asking somebody else to do the work is far less likely to work.

Yes.  In other words, yammering on about how everybody else is
yammering on isn't going to *stop* people from yammering on; they're
just going to yammer on about how you're yammering on about *their*
yammering on.  Which is counterproductive, unless that's the sort of
thing you like to do.

Uh.

Anyway, to change the subject, here's a question for Steve, about
something he wrote in his weblog:

   "Listening to music while reading is like putting ketchup on steak."

What does that *mean*?  I'm a vegetarian, so I don't really understand
how ketchup affects steak.

To the left, I do sometimes listen to music while reading, and I find
that sometimes what I'm reading is so interesting that I start
ignoring the music, and sometimes the music is so compelling that I no
longer give the text my full attention.  Some people have spoken of a
particular piece of music being a good "soundtrack" for a particular
written work, but I have not yet found such an example that works for
me.