Dragaera

A question re: Begining Fantacy for Youth

Mon Nov 25 22:44:35 PST 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:09:30PM -0700, Merlin Graves <merlin at quickfinger.com> wrote:
>  Lovecraft's not bad for that age group- I went on a Lovecraft binge when I
>  was about that age and read everything the man ever published (everything
>  I  could find, anywho) No sex, not too terribly graphic (compared to a lot
> of the horror out these days), little if any foul language. Good kid fodder,
>  if  my somewhat fragile memory is holding up. Only danger I see if the kid
>  might  do what I did- chase down and try to read the Necronomicon <sp?>

I think this is a truly classic example of the modern parenting
fallacy -- that is, that sex, foul language, and gore are the
arbiters of childworthiness.

I concede that Lovecraft did not write much that was focused on
those problematic topics.  Yet, he DID write about horrifying,
supernatural beasts and terrible, scary consequences of man's
dealings with those beasts.  He wrote about powers gained from
pacts with the inhuman, the hopelessness of humanity before an
unstoppable force far greater than they could even comprehend.
He wrote about the gruesome (if not gorey) consequences of
scientific experimentation, and the darkness of the human soul
to which we are all occasional victims.

Is he a great writer?  Hell yes.

Is he suitable, or even comprehensible, to an 11 year old?  Maybe
some, but certainly not most.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Homepage: http://matthew.infodancer.org/index.jsp