Dragaera

Straw Poll about "Reply-to" (was: Damiano's Lute)

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Fri Nov 29 10:06:38 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/28/2002 10:20:53 PM Eastern Standard
Time, Thomas Yan <tyan at twcny.rr.com> writes:

> Well, it won't necessarily convince anyone, but let's have
> a little poll:
>
> 1. Have you accidentally sent a private reply instead of
> posting to the list?

No.

> 1'. Have you accidentally posted to the list instead of
> sending a private reply?

No, but I've only twice tried to send a private reply to a
list message.

> 2. Have you received an accidental private reply that was
> meant to go to the list?

Not that I know of, but I wouldn't have noticed unless I
tried to reply.  So far, I've received a total of one
intentially private responses to my posts.

> 3. When you get a message that was sent to you instead of
> the list, do you feel obliged to query the sender to ask
> him or her if it was meant to private instead of to the
> list?

Haven't found myself in that situation yet.

> 4. Has the Reply-To behavior of this list caused you
> confusion when posting to other mailing lists, perhaps even
> causing you to accidentally send a private e-mail instead
> of posting or vice versa?

I don't participate in any other lists (at least not through
email).

> 5. How do you feel about the Reply-To behavior of this
> list?  Do you
>   + dislike it

Trimming the From field and moving the list address from the
CC field are annoyances.

6. Do you receive multiple copies of posts because the sended
replied to all and didn't trim?

Yes.

6'. Do you find this to be an annoying waste of bandwidth?

Yes.

7. Do you occasionally have trouble telling legitimate posts
>from spam?

Yes.

--KG