Dragaera

Straw Poll about "Reply-to" (was: Damiano's Lute)

Fri Nov 29 12:45:07 PST 2002

I never answered the poll question-by-question:

 > Well, it won't necessarily convince anyone, but let's have
 > a little poll:
 >
 > 1. Have you accidentally sent a private reply instead of
 > posting to the list?

Yes, because on the lists where (usually) I converse the most, 'reply'
goes to the list.

 > 1'. Have you accidentally posted to the list instead of
 > sending a private reply?

No.

 > 2. Have you received an accidental private reply that was
 > meant to go to the list?

Yes, and then the person had to go around explaining that she had sent
private replies when she meant them to be public.

 > 3. When you get a message that was sent to you instead of
 > the list, do you feel obliged to query the sender to ask
 > him or her if it was meant to private instead of to the
 > list?

Yes, because the msgs did seem (and in fact were) intended for general
consumption.

 > 4. Has the Reply-To behavior of this list caused you
 > confusion when posting to other mailing lists, perhaps even
 > causing you to accidentally send a private e-mail instead
 > of posting or vice versa?

No.

 > 5. How do you feel about the Reply-To behavior of this
 > list?  Do you

Hate it.

6. Do you receive multiple copies of posts because the sended
replied to all and didn't trim?

Yes.

6'. Do you find this to be an annoying waste of bandwidth?

Yes.

7. Do you occasionally have trouble telling legitimate posts
>from spam?

Yes.

--KG