Dragaera

Straw Poll about "Reply-to" (was: Damiano's Lute)

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Nov 29 11:38:59 PST 2002

Thomas Yan <tyan at twcny.rr.com> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> clarified:

> > It's the word "immovable" that I'm taking issue with.
>
> Well, it won't necessarily convince anyone, but let's have a little poll:
>
> 1. Have you accidentally sent a private reply instead of posting to
>    the list?

Yes, once or twice.

> 1'. Have you accidentally posted to the list instead of sending a
>     private reply?

Not on lists configured this way.  I have done so on other sorts of
lists, and I see examples pretty much every week of people doing so in
other sorts of lists.

> 2. Have you received an accidental private reply that was meant to go
>    to the list?

Yes.

> 3. When you get a message that was sent to you instead of the list, do
>    you feel obliged to query the sender to ask him or her if it was
>    meant to private instead of to the list?

No.

> 4. Has the Reply-To behavior of this list caused you confusion when
>    posting to other mailing lists, perhaps even causing you to
>    accidentally send a private e-mail instead of posting or vice
>    versa?

Heh.  You're trying to argue that reply-munging is now the default.
That won't, of course, make it right.

> 5. How do you feel about the Reply-To behavior of this list?
>    Do you
>    + love it
>    + like it
>    + don't much care
>    + dislike it
>    + hate it
>    + hate it, Hate It, HATE IT!
>
> I'll post my answers in a follow-up.

You left out several key questions.

6.  Do you find it difficult to reply to the individual poster in a
    list where reply-munging is done?

7.  Have you ever heard of anybody being seriously embarrassed, or
    even harmed (fired, say), for sending a private reply instead of a
    public reply?

8.  Have you ever heard of anybody being seriously embarrassed, or
    even harmed (fired, say), for sending a public reply instead of a
    private reply?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net