Dragaera

The Religion Debate

Fri Nov 29 19:46:52 PST 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 09:15:23PM -0400, Alex Nixon wrote:

> That is in part why I'm not threatened by anyone's religion.  The other
> part is that I don't give a rat's ass about other people's beliefs, as long
> as they don't get pissy with me over them.

A fine attitude.  But then beliefs enter politics.  I haven't been
discriminated against for lack of religion either, but I watch the news.
Muslim riots in Nigeria against Miss World, Orthodox Zionists in Israel
nattering about Judea and Samaria, evangelicals in the US supporting them
because they think it's a sign of the Apocalypse (which they want), plus of
course the basic reproductive-rights-of-women debates, and stem cells.

> I feel we will have to disagree on the other two issues.  The first is
> because I truly do feel that, at least in the majority of the Western
> World, there is a place in the society for each and every belief structure.

Only if some of those belief structures aren't acted upon.  "You can exist, as
long as you're irrelevant."

-xx- Damien X-)