Dragaera

The Religion Debate

Sat Nov 30 16:48:10 PST 2002

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> "Gametech" <voltronalpha at hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>>> This definition exists to cover phrases like "a religious devotion
>>> to fine wine", and has nothing to do with the sort of religion we're
>>> discussing.
>>>
>> err wouldn't that make the word like an adjective then? I think
>> purely you've decided that anything that interferes with your
>> ability to believe religion means only what you think it means is
>> irrelevant
>
> English words cross those boundaries every day, but I can phrase it so
> as to use the noun if you prefer:  "Wine is his religion".

And that statement means something entirely different to me.

>> It HAS EVERYTHING to do with the *kind* of religion I'm discussing,
>> sorry if I like a duller knife to describe religion than you do.
>
> What religions do you feel you need to bring that definition in to
> cover?  Islam, christianity, judaism, hinduism, buddhism, and the tao
> and shinto beliefs seem to fit fine under the more central
> definitions.  As do wicca, most forms of modern paganism (can't think
> of an exception, but I'm not an expert there), and the LDS (mormons).
> What religion do you feel needs to be included in this discussion that
> *doesn't* fit?

They seem to fit? They *All* fit under definition #4

Oh and there are quite a lot of people whom refer to Agnosticism as a
religion, and there are many references to the agnostic church.
agnostic.com? ( I don't know whom is the authoritive website on that
religion) how could that not need definition #4 to exist, under other
definitions of religion it would be contradictory.