Dragaera

The Religion Debate

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Sat Nov 30 10:19:35 PST 2002

"Gametech" <voltronalpha at hotmail.com> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> > "Gametech" <voltronalpha at hotmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Religions :
> >>
> >> 1 aBelief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers
> >> regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
> >>    bA personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief
> >> and worship.
> >> 2 The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
> >> 3 A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a
> >> spiritual leader.
> >> 4 A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious
> >> devotion.
> >>
> >> I'd use example 4 to best describe the broad scope of religions,
> >> which IN *no* way asserts the existence of a non-material
> >> world and I'd do so because some religions do not assert the
> >> supernatural, for benefit below is zeal and conscientious.
> >
> > This definition exists to cover phrases like "a religious devotion to
> > fine wine", and has nothing to do with the sort of religion we're
> > discussing.
> >
> err wouldn't that make the word like an adjective then? I think purely
> you've decided that anything that interferes with your ability to believe
> religion means only what you think it means is irrelevant

English words cross those boundaries every day, but I can phrase it so
as to use the noun if you prefer:  "Wine is his religion".

> It HAS EVERYTHING to do with the *kind* of religion I'm discussing, sorry if
> I like a duller knife to describe religion than you do.

What religions do you feel you need to bring that definition in to
cover?  Islam, christianity, judaism, hinduism, buddhism, and the tao
and shinto beliefs seem to fit fine under the more central
definitions.  As do wicca, most forms of modern paganism (can't think
of an exception, but I'm not an expert there), and the LDS (mormons).
What religion do you feel needs to be included in this discussion that
*doesn't* fit?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net