Dragaera

Blonde or golden (spoilers)

Sat Dec 7 08:57:22 PST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 09:51, Ruhlen, Rachel Louise (UMC-Student) wrote:
> Spoiler space

> Vlad said Zerika has golden hair "and if I'd meant blonde, I would have
> said blonde". Paarfi says "Zithra" has blonde hair. This seemingly small
> detail has already led to a big argument this morning (hey, it still
> beats arguing over money or housework!) So I thought it might provoke
> some discussion here. Here's my thought (before he has a chance to get
> his opinion out):
> In the army, you can have brown, blonde, red, or black hair. Most hair
> is brown. People who claim to have blonde hair will often be listed as
> brown. Similarly, eyes are either blue or brown. Green eyes are blue,
> hazel eyes are brown. In other words, the army is not interested in
> nuances. And neither is Paarfi.
> Or, Paarfi said "blonde" in an attempt to disguise the fact that Zithra
> is Zerika, an attempt that did not fool me at all (although it fooled my
> husband, which is why this led to an argument, although if he'd just
> admit that I'm much smarter than he is, it wouldn't have :).
> Or possibly, Phoenix use sorcery to color their hair golden, and without
> sorcery they are merely blonde, which is a rare color anyway for
> Dragaeran hair except for those of the House of Phoenix.

Or my opinion.. its the sort of thing Vlad cares about, but Paarfi
doesn't.  Vlad was apparently quire impressed by her hair and wanted to
make a point of it (afterall, it was a personal story).

Paarfi on the other hand didn't see how it related to his history so
left it out.  Or more likely, accidently overlooked the chance to go
into great detail about something that has nothing to do with his
history :)

Jag