Dragaera

Paths of the Dead *spoilers*

Sat Dec 7 21:03:08 PST 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 20:55, Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:05:05 PM Eastern Standard
> Time, "Ruhlen, Rachel Louise (UMC-Student)"
> <RuhlenR at missouri.edu> writes:

> [Zerika]
> > I wondered how she had all these powers, coming out of the
> > Paths of the Dead with the Orb, that she was able to speak
> > to Sethra and look in on Piro & team. It didn't seem like
> > psionic contact, because she seemed to actually see them,
> > and Sethra seemed to see her. At least, that was my
> > impression. If that's a side effect of being the Empress
> > with a New Orb (not new really, but better than before), it
> > certainly wasn't apparent to Vlad.
>
> I found it very significant that she could use the Orb to
> find people, since Tortaalik couldn't find Garland in TPG.
> And did the gods fiddle with the Orb or not?  Lots of folk
> in Vlad's time think so, but Verra doesn't.  And if Verra
> -IS- Magic, then why would Nyssa be the one improve the Orb?

I think the tampering did happen and is there to explain how
teleportation and mental contact are so much easier.  When did Verra say
she didn't think it was tampered?

Verra may be magic, but that doesn't mean she knows how to engineer a
magical device.  I think it's quite possible for a God(dess) to embody
something like magic and be able to use it fully, and still have no idea
how anyone else uses it, at least the ones that she doesn't specifically
give it to.

Jag