Dragaera

Artificial release dates and online publishing

Wed Dec 11 08:14:53 PST 2002

Ian Edwards wrote:
>> Wotc is one of the few table top game companies that has a patent,
>> they have
>> patented the idea of a 'collectible card game'
>> Which clearly is assinine, children made a game of trading cards long
>> before
>> obsure rules were added to the mix.
>
> Here's how rumors start. WotC did not patent 'collectible card games.'
> Richard Garfield, the creator of Magic: the Gathering (the first true
> CCG), got a patent on the act of 'tapping,' turning a card 90 degrees
> clockwise to act as a memory marker that it had been used. He 'gave'
> his patent to WotC, so they reap the benefits. Note that Dr. Garfield
> is no longer an employee at WotC: he's a freelance game designer.
>
> Of course, even an avid gamer such as myself will admit it's kind of
> ridiculous to get a patent on something like that...

To my knowledge companies like Decipher must pay royalties to Wotc for
CCG's, I have googled the matter and what you say makes sense, there are
other game related patents they somehow achieved, the specifics I'm curious
about so I sent off an e-mail to them.