Dragaera

Artificial release dates and online publishing

Wed Dec 11 09:34:37 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gametech" <voltronalpha at hotmail.com>
To: <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 4:10 AM
Subject: Re: Artificial release dates and online publishing

> Scott Ingram wrote:

Whatever. I'll admit that today's copyright laws aren't built to accomodate
your made-up technology.

> Technically your memory is infringing thousands of copyrights.... It's
such
> a joke.
>
> Copyright, IP, Patents restrict the rights of the 'whole' for the increase
> of rights for the entity (often a corporation).
> So I better not take a picture of my room cause there is almost certainly
> 100's of copyright infringements bound to happen...

If I could extrapolate the contents of books or create perfect copies of
pictures on your walls from the photo... then yes it would be a violation.
But you'd really have to out of your way and break the *spirit* of the law
as well as the letter to take pictures that detailed.

Is it really so important to you that artists aren't given a degree of
protection?  Dammit, hard work needs to be respected. That's pretty
fundamental, I think.

> That's what fair use is supposed to be about, telling my computer to
record
> my memories would in no way violate fair use.

You know, I thought about this, and maybe you're right. Then again, your
experience of listening to some musician's CD might include your dog barking
in the background and your mom screaming at you to come down to dinner. So
what the hell, if you want to make a copy of that, go ahead.

I wouldn't want to play that at a party though.

> As reverse engineering a drug to save lives is also fair use, some things
> are more fundamental than others even if they aren't legal.

I'd really like to see an example of a case where a life was lost because
the value of somebody's work was respected.  And these drugs *don't* appear
magically. People work hard and invest so that these drugs... and many many
other drugs that don't work but are part of the path to finding drugs that
*do* work, are created.  If you start *stealing* from these people whenever
it's convienient, then you aren't giving them much incentive to create the
next new drug.

Are there exceptions? Are there extreme cases (such as your memory copying
machine and AIDS drugs). Yes, there are always extreme cases and exceptions.
But you can't base laws on *exceptions* and *extreme cases*.  Not every
patent is a matter of life or death.  And certainly, artwork and music in
games is not a matter of life or death.