Dragaera

Thanks and typos [SPOILER]

Sun Dec 15 17:31:04 PST 2002

> p. 382
>
> "If this is true - and we will not do ourselves the
> honor of doubting
> Her Majesty's own words -...."
>

> 1) typo?
>
> 2) It's honorable to doubt what the Empress says? or
>
> 3) It, and its variants, are meaningless phrases,
> and Paarfi could have
> told an audience of Dragonlords to do themselves the
> honor of thinking
> they're Teckla, without needing to demonstrate the
> ability to win a
> title in the House of the Dzur immediately
> thereafter.

IMHO, it means that Paarfi does not consider himself
high enough on the hierarchy of power/nobility to
question her.  If, say, the warlord doubted her, that
would be okay- the warlord is important.  Paarfi,
being socially inferior to the Empress, cannot state
that he doubts or disbelieves her, as he does not have
the right to.

-Matt

=====
There are things between things, there are interstitial spaces, and I dwell among them comfortably.  I am neither one thing nor the other, not flesh nor fowl nor good red herring.  I am he that thrives on dreams- I am that merry wanderer of the night.

http://livejournal.com/users/mattador