Dragaera

I just had a thought

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Mon Dec 16 12:38:54 PST 2002

Erik Berman <AkodoBob at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 11:48  PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
> > Do you really *want* it to happen?  Movies made from good books are
> > essentially always pale reflections of the original *at best* -- often
> > they're abominations.  Original movies, or movies from shorter
> > originals, are much more interesting.
> >
> I'm not sure if some of the books I'll name count as "good Books" but
> I've found a few.
>
> "The Running Man" (admittedly almost a completely different plot-line
> after conversion)

Never heard of it.

> "Dune"  (it's old, it's long, but it has Patrick Stewart, Sting, and a
> host of excellent actors)

I thought the movie was a total and utter abomination.

> "Total Recall" (awesome movie)

I think I saw that, but I don't think I read the book.

> "Fellowship of the Rings" (call it what you will, but I can't say that
> it is a pale reflection of the novel)

Pretty good, but greatly simplified and flattened from the novel.

> "Payback" (never finished it the book but I still think it counts, and
> Mel Gibson is the Man in it)
> as well as a slew of other good movies that I know are from Books,
> though I haven't read them to confirm the movies quality.

Never saw or read.

> "Jurassic Park"

Never saw or read.

> "Silence of the Lambs"

Movie was about as good as you could make of that book, but again it
was compressed, simplified, an dumbed-down to fit in the confines of a
movie.

> Most of the Bond movies

Travesties of the books.

> and so on.

On the other hand, I actually have watched the movie of _The Princess
Bride_ more often than I've read the book.  I dunno, I don't *like*
the dark side of that book very much, and they ripped it out for the
movie.  Then again the author was primarily a screen-writer, and he
got to do the screenplay of his book, so that story got favorable
terms not offered to most other stories.

> The book to movie conversion does tend to produce flops and
> travesties.  But with careful casting (not necessarily big names, just
> good actors), and a good conversion of the story line, Jhereg could
> easily be made into an awesome movie.

The general problem is that a novel is simply too big a story to make
into a movie.  It doesn't fit.

The specific problem is that so much of what goes on in the Vlad books
is internal.  That's hard to handle in a movie.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net