Dragaera

Artificial release dates and online publishing

Joshua Kronengold mneme at io.com
Mon Dec 16 21:45:15 PST 2002

David Dyer-Bennet writes:
>Andrew Bailey <andrew at networkharmoni.com.au> writes:
>> Changing copyright laws to reduce the period in which a work is
>> protected will, in the short term, only advantage publishers.
>And readers, the general public.  It will also advance *our* interests
>a lot.

And, in fact, it doesn't advantage publishers at all.

It puts them into competition for the same works.  In such market,
they actually have to compete, rather than having monopolies on
specific works.  I'm sure they look forward to the day...

--
     Joshua Kronengold (mneme at io.com) "I've been teaching |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'