Dragaera

Song: Barritt's Tomb

Fri Jan 3 16:55:37 PST 2003

Hi.  My name's Jacob and I'm a FOM (Friend O Mark).  He hinted
I should take a look at the list (I have) and that it might not be a
bad thing to put this lil song I wrote here.

A few notes: the music is in 3/4 time and ideally needs a guitar
and a tambourine for accompaniment.  Tune is not online but I
can sing it for ya if needed.  Viewpoint is Vlad's but with less...
well, ego than usual.  No, I don't harbor any illusions that Vlad
would sing it or like it performed in his presence.  I admit right
here I might be slightly off on Vlad's worldview though I hope
not by much.

This does have one or two minor spoilers for the book Dragon,
so if you haven't read the book (I couldn't find a copy to read
for over four years) you might want to skip.  Or you might not.

(Mark, this is slightly cleaned up)

Barritt's Tomb

I know five hundred ways to kill a man dead
>From sorcerous fury to lopping off heads
But why I am here only fills me with dread
At the Battle of Barritt's Tomb
My friend and employer, he asked for my aid
On front lines and skirmish and deep midnight raid
My codes of engagement were somehow waylaid
At the Battle of Barritt's Tomb

For it's slogging and waiting and sudden deployment
Not honest rigged card games and other employment
My shieldmates, all Dragons, call battle enjoyment
But that's not the life for me
I'd rather have klava and tea

I came in for duty and thus was I sworn
The life of a soldier is hard to be borne
But my hatred is focus and that won't be torn
At the Battle of Barritt's Tomb
Objective s are fuzzy frontline on the field
My sword has been bloodied and that makes me steeled
But why do we charge and for what do we yield
At the Battle of Barritt's Tomb

For it's slogging and waiting and sudden deployment
Not honest rigged card games and ot h e r employment
My shieldmates, all Dragons, call battle enjoyment
But that's not the life for me
Though in a strong company

My faithful familiar may help keep me whole
While staying alive on the way to my goal
And when it's all over I want my parole
Fr om t he Battle of Barritt's Tomb
Why legends and demons and gods call my aid
Are questions unanswered, but I'll not just obey
My sarcastic questions might just get me flayed
At the Battle of Barritt's Tomb

For it's slogging and waiting and sudden deployment
Not honest rigged card games and other employment
My shieldmates, all Dragons, call battle enjoyment
But it's not the life for me
Loiosh and I both agree

Somehow it's been ended with Fate on our side
A Moganti through Napper, that's no way to die
I'd say we were weeping but none of us cried
At the Battle of Barritt's Tomb
I ran at the end for my nerve had been shot
The cold of the battle was too icy hot
I know it was foolish but maybe it's not
At the Battle of Barritt's Tomb

For it's slogging and waiting and sudden deployment
Not honest rigged card games and other employment
My shieldmates, all Dragons, call battle enjoyment
But that's not the life for me
No that's not the life for me

Jacob Sommer
Dec 22 2002