Dragaera

Two words about two letters etc.

Thu Jan 9 13:05:52 PST 2003

Hi, I think the anti-gunpowder arguments are wrong, because:

1) the level of control needed to remote-explode gunpowder would be
equivalent to that needed to explode oil lamps, burn down tents, set
horses' tails on fire, dephosphorylate specific proteins in soldiers'
brains;

2) gunpowder (or better a binary equivalent) could be assembled or mixed
at the last moment (sorcerously, say);

3) such weapons would be ideal for Teckla troops against Easterners,
_especially_ if the Tecklas knew that their battalion commander could
blow them all up with a thought.

Could go on...

Here are three more (final, still no car) points for the
naturally-techless folk:

1) During Teckla reigns (republics, we're told somewhere) non-sorcerous
science would be encouraged.

2) The China etc. analogies don't hold in my view because the Chinese
etc. never had experimental science, which _is_ present on Dragaera -
it's an aspect of sorcery (see Aliera's forensic exchange with Sethra).

3) Island science isn't a joke - the polis in Greece was island-based
or island-like, and ditto for the Italian city-state, and ditto for
pre-industrial age England.  A lot of progress comes from isolation
or scary neighbors or a maritime industry.

Just to have three theses here:

The Serioli present the same Orb-problem I assert elsewhere.
Someone-with-too-many-consonants-to-remember-his-name has the
know-how to make Pathfinder, Blackwand, Spellbreaker, assorted goodies -
how is it that the Serioli didn't ride into battle against the Empire
on Morganti tanks?

- Philip