Dragaera

Sethra and the cycle (Was RE: Phoenix and ...) no spoilers

Tue Jan 14 13:40:31 PST 2003

> Philip Hart wrote:
>
> > These were my interpretations as well.  However, I should add from Chapter
> > 34 (or Vol II chapter 17) of FHYA:
> >
> > "In concentrating her powers on sending Aliera after the Orb (thinking
> > that this would ensure at least one potential Emperor of the Dragon line,
> > which she had thought would immediately take the throne), Sethra ..."
> >
> > So here is evidence for Sethra having the more or less opposite view.

Well, Sethra had very incomplete information about a crisis situation
that demanded *immediate* action.  Presumably, she made more measured
examinations of the state of the Cycle after the Disaster was over.
[These may have taken quite a while, what with th Orb being gone, but
I'm quite confident that she could get solid information on the Cycle's
current state, given time.]

> Or, more likely, Paarfi's unreliability as a reporter, either through being
> mistaken or deceived.
>
> I doubt that anything Paarfi claims to know about Sethra's motivations can
> be relied upon completely.

Completely?  Of course not!  To the left, Paarfi claims to have carried on
some correspondence with Sethra.  I'd default to accepting his version,
absent significant reasons to doubt it.

Alexx

Alexx Kay
Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employers
alexx at world.std.com
http://world.std.com/~alexx
"I once heard an anecdote about a contemporary magician who decided to
 put this principle to the test by adopting a belief so strange that
 nobody could possibly mistake it for reality and then seeing what
 happened.  The belief he decided to go with was than Noddy, the little
 toy-car driving and bell-hat wearing protagonist of Enid Blyton's
 children's books, was in fact the absolute creator of the Universe and
 the God of all Gods.  Within a couple of weeks he abandoned the
 experiment in alarm, finding himself on the brink of conclusively
 proving that Noddy was the Supreme Being."
    -- Alan Moore, in correspondence with Dave Sim about _From Hell_