Dragaera

Paths of the Dead prelude, notes.

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Tue Jan 21 12:42:43 PST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Erik Dahl wrote:

>David Silberstein (>) wrote:
>
>> "Luchia of North Leatherleaf" from Emma Bull
>
>I'm not sure how exactly to get there, but I would guess that "North
>Leatherleaf" is "North Hollywood," Emma Bull's lands, so to speak.

I see no reason to assume there is a connection just because there is
the word "North" in both phrases.

> I suppose holly is a kind of leathery-leafed plant?

It most certainly is not.  Holly leaves are smooth, shiny, and fringed
with spikes.

  http://www.dallasplanttrials.org/Holly%20'Cardinal'.jpg

  http://www.dallasplanttrials.org/Holly%20'Festive'.jpg

Emma was born and grew up in Torrance, CA.  I am not sure if there is
any way to derive Leatherleaf from Torrance (which appears to be a
person's name).