Dragaera

Favorite NON-fiction

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Jan 28 19:27:50 PST 2003

Matthew Hunter <matthew at infodancer.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:02:26PM -0700, Andrew Lias <anrwlias at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I wonder.  Sure, that may be part of it, but why science, in particular?
> > Virtually every field of endeavor was dominated by white males for most of
> > Western history, but you don't see women shying away from other disciplines
> > that used to be male dominated.  For that matter, how do we account for the
> > lack of women in such fields as computer sciences that only became popular
> > subjects of study well *after* the feminist movement?
> >
> > I think that this is something at fault, but I don't know if it is
> > something as simple as a lack of applicable role models?
>
> Grace Hopper, Ada Hutchinson (unsure of last name), many others.

That second is Lady Augusta Ada Byron King, Countess of Lovelace, in
full.  Most often known in modern discussion simply as Lady Ada
Lovelace.

Not to be confused with Linda Lovelace, of course.

> There's definitely no lack of female role models in computer
> science.

Yes there is.  There are a couple of famous ones, one of whom is
famous primarily for modern work that was simply named after her, and
that's pretty much it.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net