Dragaera

Favorite NON-fiction ?

Wed Jan 29 08:12:57 PST 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 09:27:50PM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> Matthew Hunter <matthew at infodancer.org> writes:

> > Grace Hopper, Ada Hutchinson (unsure of last name), many others.
>
> That second is Lady Augusta Ada Byron King, Countess of Lovelace, in
> full.  Most often known in modern discussion simply as Lady Ada
> Lovelace.

About 30 years ago I was studying computer science.  Babbage got a
full discussion, Lovelace was never mentioned.  If memory serves,
she surfaced at least as partially as an attempt to find and publicize
women active in computation prior to the current folks (esp. Hopper).
I don't think Lovelace has gotten *more* credit than she deserves,
but if not for those folks who sifted the past, she'd be unknown today.

> > There's definitely no lack of female role models in computer
> > science.
>
> Yes there is.  There are a couple of famous ones, one of whom is
> famous primarily for modern work that was simply named after her, and
> that's pretty much it.

Almost all the 'famous' hackers are male, but I can name a helluva lot
more influential women in CS than I can in engineering.  This may reflect
my greater knowledge of CS as a field, but I doubt it.