Dragaera

Concerning the origins of Piarra (fwd)

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Thu Jan 30 14:23:17 PST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Mark A Mandel wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Steven Brust wrote:
>
>#Oh, and the other thing is that the jhereg does not have four legs.
>#That's the cover artist's rendition.  I think it's a great cover,
>#but that doesn't mean it's accurate.  :-)
>

>So how DO you imagine a jhereg?

Citing from previous posts, this is what SKZB said:

 http://dragaera.info/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?1:msp:174:gknlagjinepdjbcnnkjc

] (In my own vision of Loiosh, he has two legs, is smaller, smoother,
] his head is more snakelike, and his wings more batlike).

I have noticed that Kathy Graham's art seems to be an attempt to
portray this, although it doesn't look quite right to me.  Looking at
it, I think it is the thing on the jhereg's face that looks like a
beak that throws me off (I imagine a more snakelike face would look
more accurate).

   http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/k/a/kathyg/jhereg.jpg.html

However, I ask Steve:  Does Kathy's picture look more like what you
imagine?

This one looks more snakelike, but she is quite clear that it is not
quite what the author had in mind:

   http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/d/a/danisylv/jhereg.jpg.html