Dragaera

Let's Get It On (Was: : Re: Dragaeran memory ) (Spoilers for Issola, whichI hope everyone has now read that it's in paperback)

Thu Feb 13 10:07:27 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 12:08:03PM -0600, David Rodemaker <dar at horusinc.com> wrote:
> Probably to one degree or another, but I think that mainly Steve wants to be
> published.

Norman of Gor didn't seem to have trouble.

> Laurell K. Hamilton had an interesting set of comments on this 'issue'.
> Evidently one of the reasons she can write that sort of thing (or Anne
> Bishop or Jacqueline Carey I would guess) and not have it rejected as porn
> (soft or hard) is because she's a woman.
> Then she gets nailed because 'nice girls don't write (or read) that sort of
> stuff'... And then everybody goes out and buys it!

Eh.  Not anymore.

Her first 4 or 5 Anita Blake books were really good adventure
stories that happened to have a bit of sexual content/tension.
Then she turned off practically everything but the sex, and the
books started to suck (no, no, in a BAD way).  It's been going on
that way long enough that I've pretty much decided not to buy
anything of hers in hardcover until she straightens out again...
and this was just after she got promoted to hardcover in the
first place.

Since everyone else I know who has been reading the books has
been saying the same thing, I suspect that the publisher must be
going "ouch".

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt