Dragaera

Dragaera and Shakespeare

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Tue Feb 18 17:02:00 PST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Philip Hart wrote:

>AFB but I suspect Khaavren to Piro is a response to (the almost-as-famous
>and perhaps Shakespeare-derived) D'Artagnan pere to fils at the beginning
>of The 3 Ms.

Hmm.  D'Artagnan pere appears to have been great deal less ambivalent
than Polonius.  Indeed, he seems a most definite Dzur:

  "Never fear quarrels, but seek adventures.  I have taught you how
   to handle a sword; you have thews of iron, a wrist of steel.  Fight
   on all occasions.  Fight the more for duels being forbidden, since
   consequently there is twice as much courage in fighting."

>Anyway, I'm not too up on my Shakespeare, but maybe this list would
>enjoy playing "What House are Shakespearean characters from" (in case
>this isn't the nth time it was suggested).  For example, Iago is a
>Yendi, Othello a Dzur, Perdita an Issola; maybe Hamlet's a Tiassa,
>Macbeth a Jhereg, Macduff a Phoenix (mystic birth circumstances),
>Hermione also a Phoenix (mystic rebirth)...

Polonius, as I suggested, could be an Issola.  The Capulets and
Montagues were probably Dzur.  Shylock is a Chreotha.  Falstaff is a
Teckla, or perhaps a Tsalmoth (how *does* he maintain?)

The various kings and Caesars are almost all Dragons, except for
Richard III (pace the Fellowship of the White Boar) [1], who is a
Jhereg.

The Faerie of "Midsummer Night's Dream" are all Yendi.

[1] http://www.richardiii.net/begin.htm