Dragaera

God's rocks (was: Re: Good books generally)

Tue Feb 25 06:44:02 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Casey Rousseau wrote:

@> In case anyone cares, 1 Timothy 6:10.  Here's a link that gives you the full
@> verse with a couple leading into it.
@>
@> http://www.oremus.org/bible/browser.cgi?passage=1+Timothy+6.7-10&vnum=yes&ve
@> rsion=nrsvae
@> Or
@> http://tinyurl.com/6ecv
@>
@> Note that the NRSV continues the sentence explicitly, "...of all kinds of
@> evil, and in their eagerness to be rich some have wandered away from the
@> faith and pierced themselves with many pains."

For some reason, I keep imagining nose rings here.

Actually, the King James version is more fun, as usual:

For we have brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can
carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith
content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and
into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and
perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some
coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves
through with many sorrows.

@> I'd say that lust for money would be a fair paraphrase.  And to bring it all
@> back on topic, isn't that what _Orca_ is all (well not all, but partly)
@> about?

Well, it's one of the areas that Marx and God agree on, so why not?

(I always took Orca as an indictment of banking and bankers specifically,
rather than just money in general, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.)