Dragaera

comments, question about _Phoenix_

Tue Feb 25 14:31:17 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 17:23, Mark A Mandel wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Philip Hart wrote:
>
> #To those polite souls who have privately informed me how to spell the
> #Demon Goddess's name, my bad.  I'll stick to tDG in future because I'll
> #never remember which leterr (hmm, this joke is a total failure) in her
> #name to double.  Probably I've been misspelling Khaavren wrong too - oops.
>
> You've got his name right. The problem with Verra's name is that the
> pronunciation Steve gave us for it, "veera", is at odds with the
> spelling. It probably has something to do with different people hearing
> different things when a god speaks... ;-)

This 'problem' is actually how I remember it.  For quite a while I
pronounced it along the lines of 'vera' (short 'e'), but then I saw the
pronunciation guide and was quite shocked.  So now I usually remember
either the pronunciation or the spelling, and just remember to double
the other letter to go between the two.