Dragaera

Subject Line question (was Re: Dragaera and Shakespeare [Spoiler for POTD])

Fri Feb 28 07:51:19 PST 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:07:51AM -0600, Paul Knappenberger <knappenp at interaccess.com> wrote:
> On a related note, sorta, is it possible to change the standardized
> subject line for the group to include a global word? For instance, all
> subjects could begin with [Dragaera] or [Vlad], which would make filtering
> the mail easier...

Oh God Please No.

It is extremely trivial to use header fields that don't take up
massive amounts of space in the subject line to do this.

> I read my mail in Pine. This account has existed for long enough that I'm
> prone to receiving roughly two hundred mail messages a day, of which 40%
> or so is junk and 60% is worth reading. I tend to sweep through my email
> looking only at subject lines, and if it's not a thread I recognize I tend
> to delete it. I don't want to miss out on these generally interesting
> conversations by accidentally deleting a whole thread by mistake.

If you're reading mail in Pine already, you already have the
capability to do your mail filtering right.  And as a general
UNIX advocacy thing I would be glad to help you set this up.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt