Dragaera

[OT] Most Promising New Author?

Sat Mar 1 14:22:03 PST 2003

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 04:28:20PM -0500, Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 2/28/2003 8:34:25 PM Eastern Standard
> Time, David Goldfarb <goldfarb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
> > From: GaertK at aol.com:
> >> In a message dated 2/28/2003 2:47:02 AM Eastern Standard
> >> Time, David Goldfarb <goldfarb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
> >> [Jo Walton's great novels]
> > As opposed to all of her terrible boring novels? :-)
> Okay, the "great" was redundant. :)
> You know, I think the quality of her novels is the first
> topic here that's received unanimous agreement.  At least, no
> one has disagreed, which is as close as we'll ever get.

OK, I'll step in and disagree.  I've read only one of Jo's novels
(the first one of the King's Name series, the pseudo-arthurian
one).  I didn't think it was great.  (Sorry, Jo).  It certainly
wasn't bad, and it was one of the better arthurian
reinterpertations out there.  But I didn't like it enough to get
the sequel, and I haven't had reason to pick up anything else
>from her.

Let this be a lesson to you... never assume lack of comment means
uniformity of opinion. :)

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt