Dragaera

Issola Spoilers vs. Orca Spoilers

Tue Mar 11 09:58:20 PST 2003

>By asking others to limit the discussions to books everyone
>has read, or to type SPOILER on every posting is ludicrous.

I would agree that asking people to *limit* discussion would, in fact, be
utterly ludicrous.  I have yet to see anyone make such a proposition.

I fail to understand, however, why simply asking people to provide spoiler
space is ludicrous.  It is nothing more or less than a courtesy.

How hard is it to include a little spoiler room for the most recent release?
  Let's see.

*** SPOILER TEST ***

*** END TEST ***

That took me less than three seconds.  If I wanted to get fancy, I could
create a macro that would let me do it in a tenth of a second.  And, of
course, once spoiler protection exists on a thread, it takes zero time to
actually preserve it.

Now, if someone were to suggest that spoiled text be ROT-13 encrypted,
specially indented, or transliterated into Navajo, then I could understand a
charge of "ludicrous", but I just don't understand why you would apply that
label to something that is simultaneously easy and polite.