Dragaera

drink (was Re: Klava Recipies)

Thu Mar 20 12:52:30 PST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:22:03 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>Chris Olson - SunPS wrote:
>> > Honestly, I can't remember if brandy should be chilled or not.  It's
>> > been so long.....
>> I have no idea.  But I think it would be a good
>> substitute for Sherry in a Sherry cake....:)
>
>Um.  Unchilled.  Unchilled!  Warm, even.  Cognac as well.  Unless it's
>_bad_ brandy, then chill it so much that you can no longer taste it, kind
>of like vodka. ;-)
>
>> > All I drink any more is port (unchilled) and cider (chilled).
>> I'm not a big drinker myself (though *someone* got me drinking
>> Whiskey, da bastad!).  I like port though (had my first hangover
>> after drinking it the first time.  Ugh), and Guinness is good if
>> I don't have the time or money to eat.  And there are a few others
>> I'll drink, but I know less about alcohol than I do about, uh, something
>> I don't know much about. <grin>
>
>Any fermented beverage with lots of sugars can give you a bad hangover, and
>can even give you a hangover after just drinking a _little_.  My nemesis
>is Poulaner Salvatore, a doppelbock.  (That's a particularly dark and strong
>lager for you uninitiated heathen. :-)  It's very full-bodied and quite sweet,
>absolutely delicious, and _man_ does the stuff give me a hangover.  Just one
>bottle leaves me wishing I didn't like the stuff so much.
>
>Of course, these days I'm such a lightweight that a single glass of light-
>colored fermented grape juice can give me a hangover.  Sigh.
>
>(So, are beer and wine suitable topics, or should we stick strictly to
>sycophanting?  Yes, this is snarky, and no, I won't apologize.)

LOL.  I think it's all suitable.  Personally, my favourite libation is
cider.  Hornsby's is good, as is K.

--

lazarus

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is
not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American Public."               -- Theodore Roosevelt