Dragaera

Michael Whelan (was: Re: Lord of Castle Black is up at Amazon)

Thu May 15 13:07:25 PDT 2003

Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
> It varies a lot.  In some cases (like with Robert Jordan),
> the publisher needs the completed cover art *months* before
> the manuscript is turned in.  On the other hand, I've heard
> that the artist Robert Whelan requires the finished
> manuscript a year before the deadline for the artwork.

Michael Whelan - http://www.michaelwhelan.com - and (all this iirc)
although he prefers having the complete manuscript, he does often work
>from just completes scenes / chapters (and definitely for the initial
sketches / concepts), with a waiting period of 'just' a handful of
months rathen than a year. The FAQ on his site states that he takes
about a month per cover.

Hmm, there used to lurk some interesting walkthroughs on his site on how
he went from initial sketches for books to the final versions (in
particular I remember him doing this for Tad Williams' A Sea of Silver
Light), but I can't quickly refind it. Doncha just hate sites
redesigning all the time? :) Still, definitely an interesting place to
browse through if you have a spot of time; he's one of those fantasy
artists producing covers almost everyone seems to like.

Sander